Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Kick-Ass Women

Earlier this fall, I graduated from a basics self-defense class.

If there's one thing I wish every woman would do, regardless of political bent and whether or not you're single, married, or engaged, it's take a full-force, full-contact class that prepares you to defend yourself when and if you are ever assaulted.

It was always something I meant to do, but the catalyst for me finally signing up had to do with a new writing project I was working on and how the research was affecting me psychologically. But the first day, I didn't want to go. I woke up, it was a beautiful day, and I didn't want to spend 4 hours in a West Hollywood gym thinking about the terrible amount of violence and harrassment women will experience in their lives. But I left, after my first fights, exhilarated.

I found fighting kind of fun, which is a strange thing to say. In fact, I would talk about it so much during the week and how "I couldn't wait" for Sunday that S. started calling it "Fight Club." You kind of feel like your own action hero. And while I normally cringe at anything all-female, this was a truly supportive group of truly kick-ass women.

But it's a whole lot more than that. I can't say enough about this class, and the impact it makes on your sense of self and in turn, your confidence. The one I took was in L.A., but there are regional programs throughout the country. Plus, they will work out a payment plan with you to make it work with your needs.

Why this isn't part of the Presidential Physical Fitness test in schools across the U.S. boggles my mind. It's a way better use of federal funding than kickball, or seeing how long you can hang on the chin-up bar.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kidsis said...

Oh that would be so amazing. The world would change if it was part of high school curriculum.

Sigh.

What an amazing class. So inspiring. I wrote about it.

And so did Heidi.

Keep kicking ass, Erin!!!

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home