Thursday, August 31, 2006

2006 VMA Ramblings- Yes I Still Watch Them

I am a lifelong fan of the VMA's. I don't think that I have ever missed a year. But is it me, or are award shows just sort of over?

Before this year's show started, my viewing buddy, Megan, and I each chose an adjective that we would best sum up the show. She chose "commercial" and I chose "desperate." We were both right.

There was no excitement. Where are the sore losers? The guys who won best rock band were so soft and girlie. It was embarassing. Where is the anger? Is this another Gen Y thing? Affable rock bands.

Sure, maybe I am just too old to be watching the VMA's but I would say that I knew over 70% of the music. I'm hip with the kids.

I just really hate Jack Black. He is not funny and I don't like Tenacious D either, so all of you Jack Black lovers be warned, I am a major hater.

On the plus side, I was glad to see that most of the artists were actually singing. Megan loved the set. I love that she noticed it. I never notice things like that.

The best part of the night was, hands-down, Justin Timberlake. But that is no surprise. I love the Timberlake. I also love Shakira so I enjoyed her performance. I liked that Hype Williams won the Vanguard award and I loved Missy in her tiny Jeep. And how can you not be thrilled that Pink won for "Stupid Girls" as she sat in a room full of them. And Al Gore wasn't as bad as he could have been either. Hmmm...maybe I liked the VMA's more than I think I did.

The VMA's are still the best of the award shows. I didn't watch the Emmy's and the Oscars are now just an excuse for me to get drunk and eat salty snacks. And are the Grammy's even on anymore?

I just wish that Madonna had won one. She was cheated.

Here are the winners, courtesy of E! online:
Video of the Year: Panic! at the Disco, "I Write Sins Not Tragedies"
Best Male Video: James Blunt, "You're Beautiful"
Best Female Video: Kelly Clarkson, "Because of You"
Best Group Video: The All-American Rejects, "Move Along"
Best Rap Video: Chamillionaire, "Ridin"
Best R&B Video: Beyoncé f/ Slim Thug, "Check on It"
Best Hip-Hop Video: Black Eyed Peas, "My Humps"
Best Dance Video: Pussycat Dolls f/ Snoop Dogg, "Buttons"
Best Rock Video: A.F.I., "Miss Murder"
Best Pop Video: Pink, "Stupid Girls"
Best New Artist in a Video: Avenged Sevenfold, "Bat Country"
Viewer's Choice: Fall Out Boy, "Dance, Dance"
Best Direction in a Video: Gnarls Barkley, "Crazy"
Best Choreography in a Video: Shakira f/ Wyclef Jean, "Hips Don't Lie"
Best Special Effects in a Video: Missy Elliott, "We Run This"
Best Art Direction in a Video: Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Dani California"
Best Editing in a Video: Gnarls Barkley, "Crazy"
Best Cinematography in a Video: James Blunt, "You're Beautiful"
Ringtone of the Year: Fort Minor, "Where'd You Go"
Best Videogame Soundtrack: Marc Ecko's Getting Up
Best Videogame Score: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Video Vanguard Award: Hype Williams

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home